Monday, January 7, 2008

A Balancing Act of Sorts...


As Chris & I have entered the “waiting” phase of adoption, we have certainly experienced several emotions. I would say that balancing hope instead of anxiety is the trickiest so far. We often ask ourselves at the end of the day, how do you balance a hopeful faith without becoming anxious and succumbing to idolatry. The key for us is to remember that anything we think about more than the Lord is an idol! He has to be our focus!

So as we journey this wait, the Lord has been teaching me so much. As I sat and visited with a sweet friend over Christmas, she posed this question.

How long has the Lord been waiting on his children? How must the Lord ache for his children to be adopted by him, to accept his grace.

I honestly hadn’t thought about this aspect of it. I had ventured into the scriptures about adoption, but never took a minute to contemplate how the Lord feels as he sits in our shoes for generations and generations….waiting for his church.

Wow! That thought will give some perspective! I thought how it would rip my heart out if our child told us that the price we had paid wasn’t enough to adopt them. I thought how it would rip our hearts out if we went through the process and finalization steps, only to have our child say, “nah, I don’t think I want to be part of your family”.

I know that I haven’t scratched the surface of God’s emotions toward his children & church, but what he has uncovered for me has been amazing!

Lord let your children understand that they can call you “Abba, Father” [Galatians 4:6]....let us begin to understand your love.

No comments: